![]() |
| http://www.concreteinteractive.com/category/articles/ |
This question pops up again and again within society, and there are so many different answers. Some say art cannot be defined, do you agree? It is often said that art is just the process or product of positioning elements in a way that appeals to our senses or emotions. I’ve heard people define art as a form of expression, including music, literature, film, sculpture and paintings — something that expresses an idea, an emotion or more commonly a worldview. Andy Warhol believed that “Art is anything you can get away with.”
There are those that believe it conveys ideas and values from
different cultures and its role changes through time. I believe that everything
I’ve mentioned so far has elements of truth but is mainly opinion. In all honesty, my point of view of the definition of art
is open; it’s subjective, and debatable. I think that the concept itself has changed over centuries. The very idea of art resumes today to cause
uproar of controversy, due to the fact that there are numerous versions of how
people perceive art.
When I see a piece
of artwork or create a piece of artwork myself, I feel it is true art when it
can cause myself and/or others to stop in their tracks and take a moment to
think. It doesn’t have to be mind
blowing, just something that makes them take a few moments out of their crazy
hectic schedules and wonder… why did this artist create this? What are they trying to say? You know
questions of that nature. So do you viewers agree with any of the views I have
stated? I would love to learn more on how others view art so if you have an
opinion or anything you would like to state please do not hesitate to leave a
comment!
![]() |
| What is art in your eyes? http://pedrohbv.deviantart.com/art/What-is-art-157149167 |


Art for me does not necessarily have to be a painting, drawing or visual. For me one the greatest art forms has always been literature as it gives readers the ability to create a particular image in their heads and allows them to escape to and be absorbed by another world even if it is just for a short while. Regardless, I feel art, no matter what form it takes, is meant to provide a sort of escape for people while also being something that is therapeutic in nature because it can be a way for people to not only express themselves, but also a way for them to learn, accept and perhaps challenge certain things that go on in the world around them. The medium art takes is not what is the most important aspect of it, but what is most important is the effect it can have not only on the person creating it, but also on the people who are viewing and absorbing it.
ReplyDeleteI think that the fact that you mention that "no matter what form art takes, it is meant to provide a sort of escape for people" is a wonderful point along with the others you have mentioned. There are times when I myself am caught in a film, or great novel or even a painting and I will find myself off in another world, even for just a few moments I have been able to escape reality.
DeleteI think art is anything made with a creative process. I agree it doesn't necessarily have to be a painting or drawing. A lot of people are stuck in the mindset that visual arts equals art, nothing else, but that's not true. It's important to note, though, that art and design are two different things.
ReplyDelete