Sunday, 29 September 2013

Take A Look Around


Art is All Around You

Have you ever been sitting listening to music and loose yourself in the melody of the song?  Ever become so captivated in a painting that describes all your feelings in a way you yourself could not define?  Have you ever sat in the audience of a play that takes you deep into an unreal fantasy world of which the impossible becomes possible?  I think it’s safe to say that if you have answered yes to any of these questions then you have experienced the arts.

Art is everywhere we look these days and there are attractive, seductive, provoking visuals to lure us into clicking, reading or watching.  Without these temptations, we move right along until something captures our interest.  We see art all the time within different ads; commercials, flyers, billboards even on the sides of our buses.  The right mix of information can cause us to stop dead in our tracks and get us to pay attention.  If we combine that with the right image, we've got a sure winner.  However let's take that one step further: the right combination of words, the right visual and a crisp, clear message - now there is a formula that leads you by the nose down the path of no return.  This is the kind of art that is surrounding you on a daily basis and you've been captured without even consciously choosing to be.  The pull is so powerful that you've lost all awareness, your curiosity driving you deeper and deeper. 

If you were to walk down the aisle in any supermarket, take a drive down any major street or spend some time browsing the Internet or flipping through the channels I guarantee you will be bombarded with an endless selection of visual stimuli which is known as art believe it or not.  I feel that every day I witness how effective art grabs us by the throat and forces us to react impulsively based on our innate sense of taste and preference.  Without a moment's hesitation, we either like it or dislike it.  Buy into it or dismiss it entirely.  If you take a moment to look around you right now, what art do you see?  What art have you seen today?  This week or even this month?   I would love to learn about the art you have seen around you, so please leave a comment and let us see if we can prove how art truly is all around us.

1. http://www.fansshare.com/gallery/photos/10679607/dubai-palm-deira/
2. http://www.123inspiration.com/more-creative-billboard-ads/
3. http://stephenweirarticles.blogspot.ca/2010/09/factoids-about-marilyn-monroe-building.html
4. http://atomictoasters.com/2012/08/the-starry-night-and-tributes/
5. http://famouswonders.com/trevi-fountain/
6. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Routemaster_RCL2250_(CUV_250C),_11_July_2008.jpg


5 comments:

  1. As silly as this sounds, I do believe that recent "art" that I have seen was no other than the TV show Breaking Bad. Most people would not categorize a drama TV show, especially one that involves a terminal cancer patient that cooks Meth, to being anything other than pure entertainment. However, I believe that the TV show's cinematography is beyond incredible, capturing humanity in its purest forms. I know that when someone says art the first thing that comes to mind is a painting, picture, photograph, etc. which I do agree is beautiful and indeed art, but I wanted to go beyond the obvious and mention something that I viewed as a form of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely does not sound silly to me! That is such an interesting point you have brought up. In today's society everyone is glued to their technology, television being one of it's main sources, and to be able to convey such a strong message and emotion is definitely something I can see as being artistic. It takes great talent to be able to convey such a message like the one that is in "Breaking Bad" and to do it well enough that it has viewers absolutely captivated and not only begging for more but becoming emotionally attached to it.

      Delete
  2. Since staring a design program, I've seen so much art around me. It's made me think about how everything we see has been created by someone, from design to building to installation. Even the most mundane things, like zippers, have been created by someone. I once saw a giant sock in a store window and wondered how someone would go about making that. So now I see art in everything: from road signs to the screws that fasten them to poles. Everything has a process, and everything has been created one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment reminds me of the many times when I had told people I was interested in art and many times I got the same comment "Oh... but that's not very important or life changing... nothing like being a doctor." I would always reply to those people with the same answer "maybe I'm not a doctor, but who do you think drew up the design for the tools that that doctor is using? An artist." Art is in everything because at some point someone needed to draw up that idea to have it be created.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! You phrased it perfectly.

      Delete